TVM Community Meetups

As our community continuously grows, we are currently having contributors from various institutions including both industry and academia. We usually use the discussion forum here to post RFCs and exchange ideas which has been quite efficient. However, it might be helpful to further broaden the community through regular meetups as people who are interested in TVM could participate and talk in person. We want to propose regular community meetups in the Bay Area. Here are some initial proposals, but you are very welcome to comment or post any other alternatives.

How: we propose to organize the meetup by volunteers in the community and coordinate through the discuss forum. The signup could be done through meetup.com. Any one in the community is welcomed to volunteer to host the meeting.

when and where: the time and location could be proposed by the volunteers, but we would like to suggest it is held quarterly.

All these activities will be acted under the ASF guidance. We will archive the meetups and post the summary so that they are also accessible to other people who cannot attend in person.

Any ideas or comments are highly appreciated:)

@tqchen @jroesch @thierry @yzhliu @haichen @broune @ajtulloch @nhynes @ciphr @wweic

13 Likes

We(Amazon SageMaker NEO team) would love to volunteer to be the first potential host of the fist meetup.

2 Likes

I love this idea. How long will it take and shall we ask people to volunteer some topics?

Yeah, We can probably coordinate the logistics later. We can learn some experience from other communities, like XGBoost and ONNX, etc.

Great idea. We (OctoML) would love to host the second one.

1 Like

+1. Would be great to understand ASF practice and discuss the first one!

A great step to extend tvm community!

Great idea! We should organize some around the Seattle area as well :blush:

1 Like

Nice idea. Awfully far to get to the Bay Area for a social :wink: so any folks in the UK / Ireland interested ?

regards
Ramana

Any folks in China interested?

5 Likes

Or Munich? :slight_smile:

definitely +1 on a Seattle based meetup next (AWS, OctoML, Microsoft etc.) :blush:

1 Like

Great idea! Achronix Semiconductor might be interested in hosting a meetup as well. How soon can we start!

Thanks everyone for great discussions. Given that there are many interests in different locations. I would suggest we draft a guideline for meetups and allow each place to organize the meetup organically.

The only requirement for being Apache is that we want to keep everyone in the community in the loop, so we would post the announcements, as well as brief summaries of the event to the public channel.

As a side note, We just posted a preliminary program and opened registrations for TVM conference 2019 https://sampl.cs.washington.edu/tvmconf/ it would be a great topic to discuss there

Yup - would definitely be interested :slight_smile:

I created a Meetup Group for Apache TVM users and developers at https://www.meetup.com/Apache-TVM/members/ as an organizer in the Bay Area. I am happy to add other organizers here and in other locations so we can use the meetup.com service for scheduling. We are planning the first SF Bay Area event on Friday, November 8, at Amazon, East Palo Alto. All are welcome to join and participate. We want to see a mix of presentations from the hosting organization (Amazon) and guests. For the first event, we started with topics of common interest and a placeholder (Bring Your Own Topic). You are welcome to suggest topics for which you would like to lead a discussion. As a guideline, we hope to encourage developers to invite collaboration from others in the community rather than merely promote a topic of personal interest. We look forward to seeing many of you.

Awesome, I drafted an RFC for meetup guidelines for us to organize further meetups:) please help comment and improve TVM Meetup Guideline