Tensorize when intrinsics doesn't fit perfectly with tensor shapes

Working on integration for a custom tensor accelerator with BYOC.

So far I have understood how I can tensorize the matrix core operation, input/weights reading, output writing in the case where shapes are heavenly divisible by the intrinsics - the perfect case. Now I need to figure out the general case, i.e. handling any type of shapes.

What I though of:

1. introduce padding and slicing at the compute level - which I have a feeling this would lead to extra operations which isn’t ideal
  2. There is tir.Schedule.pad_einsum, which helps me tensorize the matrix core operation, but introduce an if_then_else statement in the loading which prevents tensorization from working
  3. I went through this github issue from 2017 where @tqchen mentions tir.transform.InjectCopyIntrin - I am not sure how to use it in my context
  4. I also saw tir.transform.LowerAutoCopy which could be of interest too - although it seems to target GPU compilation

Here is the example module I am working with, it would be really nice if I can get a fully working solution from it - i.e. I can tensorize the core matrix op and loads despite intrinsic shape not fitting perfectly.

from tvm.script import ir as I
from tvm.script import tir as T
from tvm.script import relax as R

@I.ir_module
class Module:
    @T.prim_func
    def matmul(A: T.Buffer((T.int64(1), T.int64(784)), "float32"), B: T.Buffer((T.int64(784), T.int64(512)), "float32"), T_matmul_NN: T.Buffer((T.int64(1), T.int64(512)), "float32")):
        T.func_attr({"layout_free_buffers": [1], "tir.noalias": T.bool(True)})
        # with T.block("root"):
        for i, j, k in T.grid(T.int64(1), T.int64(512), T.int64(784)):
            with T.block("T_matmul_NN"):
                v_i, v_j, v_k = T.axis.remap("SSR", [i, j, k])
                T.reads(A[v_i, v_k], B[v_k, v_j])
                T.writes(T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j])
                with T.init():
                    T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] = T.float32(0)
                T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] = T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] + A[v_i, v_k] * B[v_k, v_j]

@T.prim_func
    def matmul1(A: T.Buffer((T.int64(1), T.int64(512)), "float32"), B: T.Buffer((T.int64(512), T.int64(512)), "float32"), T_matmul_NN: T.Buffer((T.int64(1), T.int64(512)), "float32")):
        T.func_attr({"layout_free_buffers": [1], "tir.noalias": T.bool(True)})
        # with T.block("root"):
        for i, j, k in T.grid(T.int64(1), T.int64(512), T.int64(512)):
            with T.block("T_matmul_NN"):
                v_i, v_j, v_k = T.axis.remap("SSR", [i, j, k])
                T.reads(A[v_i, v_k], B[v_k, v_j])
                T.writes(T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j])
                with T.init():
                    T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] = T.float32(0)
                T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] = T_matmul_NN[v_i, v_j] + A[v_i, v_k] * B[v_k, v_j]

@R.function
    def main(inp_0: R.Tensor((1, 1, 28, 28), dtype="float32")) -> R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32"):
        cls = Module
        with R.dataflow():
            lv: R.Tensor((1, 784), dtype="float32") = R.reshape(inp_0, R.shape([1, 784]))
            lv1: R.Tensor((784, 512), dtype="float32") = R.permute_dims(metadata["relax.expr.Constant"][0], axes=None)
            lv2 = R.call_tir(cls.matmul, (lv, lv1), out_sinfo=R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32"))
            lv3: R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32") = R.add(lv2, metadata["relax.expr.Constant"][1])
            lv4: R.Tensor((512, 512), dtype="float32") = R.permute_dims(metadata["relax.expr.Constant"][2], axes=None)
            lv5 = R.call_tir(cls.matmul1, (lv3, lv4), out_sinfo=R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32"))
            lv6: R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32") = R.add(lv5, metadata["relax.expr.Constant"][3])
            gv: R.Tensor((1, 512), dtype="float32") = lv6
            R.output(gv)
        return gv

@vinx13 @masahi (this is a follow up from another post on tensorization which got answered so I created this new one)

How do you want to tensorize the load? On cuda we use conditional statement to pad on shared memory, and then use tensor intrinsics to further load it to registers. If you don’t have such memory hierarchy, you can either pad on global memory before tensorized load, or you will need a tensor intrinsics that can load arbitrary imperfect shape (tensorizing with variable shapes of tensor intrinsics is not yet supported but we can probably extend the support for that)

My hardware supports loading of imperfect shapes so I am really looking for a way to have this tensor intrinsic, or at least make it easy for the code generation. All instructions are tensor-level.

If support for tensorizing with variable shapes can be added that will certainly be a great addition for hardware manufacturers as I have seen this issue appearing in few places. I would be happy to contribute to this improvement, although I am not sure to have enough knowledge of the codebase yet or even the skills but I will take a look at it.

In the meantime I will need to find a workaround.

Using a rewriting pass similar to ‘InjectCopyIntrin’ will be easier. You can also add some annotations during scheduling to guide the rewriting pass

Hi, I have encountered a similar problem. Do you have any solutions?