[RFC][BYOC] Arm Compute Library integration

Motivation

Arm Compute Library (ACL) is an open source project that provides hand-crafted assembler routines for Arm CPU’s and GPU’s. This integration will look at how we can accelerate CPU performance for Arm devices in TVM using ACL. The idea is that by offloading select operators from a relay graph to ACL we can achieve faster inference times due to these routines. The initial intention is that this will improve performance for FP32 models. Although, with further improvements to the integration this will extend to quantized models and support for a wider range of operators.

Proposal

We have been working on integrating ACL using the BYOC infrastructure which is still under active development. Our current implementation uses JSON as a level of abstraction between relay operators and ACL functions (or layers). Here is an overview of the flow from compilation to runtime we aim to achieve:

• Front-end graph (Currently only NHWC is supported).
  • Lower to relay graph.
  • Run MergeComposite to create a one-to-one mapping of relay operators to ACL functions.
  • Annotate graph for ACL and Partition (We currently do this without the MergeCompilerRegions pass, the reasoning for this will follow shortly).
  • Pre-process the parts of the graph destined for ACL to align with expected formats.
  • Use the codegen stage to convert Relay operators annotated for ACL to JSON.
  • Serialize JSON and constant tensors into mod.so .

ACL runtime module context

• Load mod.so and deserialize JSON and constant tensors.
  • Create ACL functions from JSON representation and cache.
  • The cached functions are exposed to the graph runtime as packed functions.

Running the generated module

• Run each ACL function as required by the graph runtime by retrieving from the cache and supplying input and output buffers.

Building with ACL support

The current implementation has two separate build options in CMake. The reason for this split is because ACL cannot be used on an x86 machine. However, we still want to be able to compile an ACL runtime module on an x86 machine.

• USE_ACL - Enabling this flag will add support for compiling an ACL runtime module.
  • USE_GRAPH_RUNTIME_ACL - Enabling this flag will allow the graph runtime to compute the ACL offloaded functions when running a module.

We expect typical usage will see USE_ACL enabled on an x86 “host” device and USE_GRAPH_RUNTIME enabled on an Aarch64 device.

We include a script under docker/ubuntu_install_acl.sh which pulls ACL from the github repository and makes building ACL cross-compiled for Aarch64 easy to use within TVM. This script can also be added to the ci_cpu docker container build.

ACL Graph representation

ACL doesn’t have it’s own graph representation and should be viewed as a library that will compute a single operator and return the result, rather than computing a whole sub-graph. For these reasons we offload operators to ACL one-by-one i.e. we wrap each ACL supported operator in its own function in relay and offload to the ACL runtime one operator at a time. This is the reason we don’t run the MergeCompilerRegions pass mentioned above.

As new features are added to BYOC this approach may change in the future.

Codegen and compilation

The process of offloading partitioned subgraphs to ACL starts at compilation. The aim here is to align with the expectations of ACL and convert the relay “sub-graphs” into a format that the ACL runtime understands. First we pre-process the functions that the codegen receives. Currently, we make use of the ConvertLayout and FoldConstant passes to convert from TVM’s default NHWC kernel layout of HWIO to ACL’s expected kernel layout of OHWI. After this, we codegen JSON from the operators we receive. The output of the codegen module is an ACLModule which contains a serialized JSON representation of the operators and serialized constant tensors.

Runtime Support

We implement ACLModule to translate from the JSON that is received by codegen to ACL API. When an ACL module is compiled it only contains the necessary JSON operator descriptions and constant data for creation of each layer in ACL - we defer the actual creation of ACL layers until runtime. This is because ACL is not cross-platform. When the graph runtime is created, each ACL layer is configured and cached in the module separately. This way we can eliminate the overhead of repeatedly creating and preparing these layers for multiple inferences. ACL also applies another weight transformation for specific convolutions; since these layers are cached this transformation only occurs when creating the runtime.

Another optimization we implement at this level is to allow ACL to request auxiliary memory from TVM. This is working memory that ACL needs to perform some operations (currently only affects convolution). By requesting memory directly from the TVM device API we can witness a performance improvement of around 1.2x compared to using ACL backed memory.

Operator Support

Currently the integration provides support for the following operators using FP32 precision:

• [pad] + conv2d + [bias_add] + [relu], where [] denotes an optional operator.
  • maxpool2d
  • reshape

This RFC is only intended to be “initial”, further support for a wider range of operators will follow.

Testing

We currently have 4 different types of tests all of which reside under python/contrib/test_acl.

• Under test_operatorname.py we have 2 types of tests:
    • The first requires USE_ACL and USE_ACL_GRAPH_RUNTIME are set. (Or the use of a remote device). These tests check that each individual operator runs end-to-end and that the output matches that of TVM.
    • The second only requires USE_ACL and simply test the codegen JSON output is as expected. These tests bypass the ACL runtime.
  • test_network.py includes end-to-end network tests (currently vgg16 and mobilenet). These tests offload only the implemented operators to ACL with the rest of the operators that are unsupported continuing through the TVM stack. Again, the results are compared against the output of TVM.
  • test_runtime.py test elements of the runtime that haven’t been tested via individual operators. Currently this consists of multiple inferences on the same model and testing multiple ops offloaded to acl works as intended.

Our hope is that in the future the whole ACL implementation can be checked with an Aarch64 CI setup.

Future improvements

The integration in it’s current form doesn’t add support for most operators in ACL, it is mostly a proof of concept. Below is a series of items we hope to add/improve upon in the near future.

• Support a wider range of operators for FP32 (and FP16).
  • Support for quantized operators.
  • As BYOC evolves, we may offload whole sub-graphs to ACL (hopefully improving performance) and change the way constants are serialized (with the use of the upcoming JSON runtime).

Thanks, any thoughts are appreciated.

7 Likes

I have searched “ACL” in tvm community and found the newest article is this. I want to ask

1. Is there any update for the operator support?

2. If we use the following command, what will happen if both ACL and NPU both support for the same operator?

python3 -m tvm.driver.tvmc compile --target=“ethos-n -variant=n78 -tops=4 -ple_ratio=4, llvm -device=arm_cpu -mtriple=aarch64-linux-gnu -mcpu=cortex-a55 -mattr=+neon”

I just want to make my hardware run fast as much as possible. If there is no need to use ACL now, please also tell me this truth(Since I notice this article is published 1.5 years ago.)

Hi @guanjen375, here is the updated list of supported operators:

Hi @guanjen375, the latest operator support should also be detailed in this documentation here: Relay Arm® Compute Library Integration — tvm 0.11.dev0 documentation. This should reflect the code example @leandron noted. Note that some of the code examples in this documentation are likely to be outdated as the API has evolved since it was written.

The TVMC command you mention will greedily offload operations to the NPU then fallback to TVM’s default CPU schedules for any operations the NPU does not support. In order to offload operations to ACL you would also need to specify the “compute-library” target in your target string. The order of which dictates the priority for offloading supported operations. If the target with the highest priority doesn’t support an operation, the target with the second highest priority will be considered, then the third, etc. For example, if you wanted to fallback in the following order: NPU → ACL → TVM CPU you could write the following target string:

ethos-n -variant=n78 -tops=4 -ple_ratio=4, compute-library, llvm -device=arm_cpu -mtriple=aarch64-linux-gnu -mcpu=cortex-a55 -mattr=+neon

To answer your last question, I think this will very much depend on the format of your input graph and will likely involve some experimentation enabling and disabling offloading to ACL. In the past, I recall performance improvements using ACL when the input graph is in NHWC format when compared to TVM’s NHWC CPU schedules. I’ve not worked on this for a while though unfortunately, so I no longer have any benchmarks to back up this claim. Happy to help with any issues you may have setting it up if you do decide to experiment.

Hi @lhutton1 , before I start to try the cases you mentioned, I think I should realize the difference between ACL / llvm -device=arm_cpu / llvm.

I have noticed when I use the last two targets, the compute speed is different.

Beside, here is my cpu information. Do you have any comment with the chosen of target?

The ACL (compute-library from TVMC) target will make use of optimized hand written kernels provided by the Arm Compute Library. Machine Learning operations are offloaded at the Relay level, so no low-level optimizations or auto-tuning is applied by TVM in this case.

The llvm -device=arm_cpu and llvm targets make use of schedules from TVM’s TOPI library. In this case, its possible to take advantage of TVM’s low-level optimizations and auto-tuning framework etc.

The -device=arm_cpu flag was used to influence the choice of schedules that are selected in TOPI, but as long as AArch64 is part of the -mtriple option it should no longer make a difference whether -device=arm_cpu is specified or not (thanks to @Mousius’s work). It’s interesting to hear you’re seeing some performance difference in this case, would you be able to share the target strings you’re comparing?

cc @elenkalda-arm @Mousius might be able to comment more on the CPU target string you provided, but it looks reasonable to me.

Hi @lhutton1 i am trying to export the codegen of ACL with crt runtime and facing an issue These 3 modules are not exportable to C-runtime: tvmgen_default_arm_compute_lib_main_2, tvmgen_default_arm_compute_lib_main_1, tvmgen_default_arm_compute_lib_main_0

and i use cpp runtime i am facing another issue

tvm.micro.model_library_format.UnsupportedInModelLibraryFormatError: Don’t know how to export non-c or non-llvm modules; found: [Module(const_loader, 2f9adaada98), Module(arm_compute_lib, 2f9ff8c1e78), Module(arm_compute_lib, 2f9ff8c1008), Module(arm_compute_lib, 2f9ff8c3948)]

any idea if the ACL support such exporting ?

Hi @ebraheema, it looks like you’re using the AOT executor? Unfortunately the ACL integration pre-dates the AOT executor and therefore it doesn’t currently support it. ACL modules are serialized using a JSON format then converted to ACL API at runtime, which I suspect the AOT executor does not support. Likely some form of C/C++ module needs to be used instead

Hi @lhutton1

actually I’m using the graph executor, but it also fails with AOT executor. i think the issue comes from the fact that ACL have it’s own “Compile” (ACLCompile) and it is return a “compiled” module.