Installing dependencies using Red Hat machine

Hello, I’m currently walking through the install steps outlined in the “Install from Source” tutorial. I’m on a Red Hat machine, so in order to install the pre-requisites listed I’m running: sudo yum update (passes) and sudo yum install -y python3 python3-dev python3-setuptools gcc libtinfo-dev zlib1g-dev build-essential cmake libedit-dev libxml2-dev (fails)

However, I’m receiving an error message that says Error: Unable to find a match: python3-dev libtinfo-dev zlib1g-dev build-essential libedit-dev libxml2-dev. Anyone else experienced this issue when trying to install?

Hi @calebpsanders, these pre-requisites are used for compiling llvm. If you have llvm installed on your machine, I think you don’t need to yum install these packages.

1 Like

There won’t be a 1:1 mapping between what provides the requirements on Ubuntu vs what provides the requirements on CentOS. Sometimes there are simple name changes (for example, -dev on Ubuntu often becomes -devel on CentOS). Sometimes they packages are provided by a different source (epel is a common repository for non-standard but commonly used packages), and sometimes it’s a different package entirely. You can often narrow down what package provides something with the yum search command.

Most of the community is working on Debian and Ubuntu systems, and the docs reflect that. Hopefully these suggestions help, and if you work out the requirements I’d be happy to help you encode those in the docs so others don’t go through the same issue.

1 Like