How to set parameter into pipeline module

Hello @hijiang,

I have followed your work and made some extensions to support such splitting as I mentioned in the previous discussions Setting the CPU affinity and number of cores locally without RPC Remote - #4 by popojames. Can TVM split work into different layers, and assign layers into different cores? - #10 by hjiang. I was able to split the network and with my own CPU affinity setting.

Now I try to assign param of the pre-trained model into the pipeline module, I noticed the function of PipelineModule.set_input support such setting:

However, this function will induce the following error:

AttributeError: 'Module' object has no attribute 'set_input'

This is because of the type of self.graph_modules_[mod_idx] is something like Module(GraphExecutor, 27517208) instead of tvm.contrib.graph_executor.GraphModule. In this case, the latter can access set_input but the former cannot.

Is there any other way to assign parameters or can I transfer from Module(GraphExecutor, XXX) to tvm.contrib.graph_executor.GraphModule in this case to set the parameters?

Thanks for your help in advance and many thanks for developing this TVM function.

@popojames , thanks for trying the pipeline runtime, the set params issue will get address in our new patch, you also can try following change as a quick fix.

diff --git a/python/tvm/contrib/pipeline_executor.py b/python/tvm/contrib/pipeline_executor.py
index bd8c9a768..c1f7842b3 100644
--- a/python/tvm/contrib/pipeline_executor.py
+++ b/python/tvm/contrib/pipeline_executor.py
@@ -157,7 +157,7 @@ def create(pipeline_mods, mod_config):
         mod = graph_executor.GraphModule(
             pipeline_mod["default"](pipeline_mods[pipeline_mod]["dev"])
         )
-        mods.append(mod.module)
+        mods.append(mod)

submodule = PipelineModule(mods, json.dumps(mod_config))
     # submodule = PipelineModule(pipeline_mods, json.dumps(mod_config))
@@ -181,7 +181,7 @@ class PipelineModule(object):
     def __init__(self, modules, pipeline_config):
         mods = []
         for module in modules:
-            mods.append(module)
+            mods.append(module.module)

pipelinecreate = tvm._ffi.get_global_func("tvm.pipeline_executor.create")
         assert pipelinecreate

1 Like

Thanks for replying, I will try and keep an eye on the new patches. :slight_smile:

Hello @hjiang,

Thanks for answering, I was able to feed the params into the model by adopting your change.

But I add one more change: I changed to the following code

if params:
     for param in params:
         self.graph_modules_[mod_idx].set_input(**params)

into the following code to avoid the error

if params:
     self.graph_modules_[mod_idx].set_input(**params)

====================================================================

More info: What I want to do is very similar to do what you have done in tvm/test_pipeline_executor.py at fba531e55f032367acc28090605c5533b2e88f55 · apache/tvm (github.com) To be more specific, I tried to compare the correctness of the pipeline setting, in another word, if I feed the input to with pipeline and run the inference, I was expected to get the same result as I get in without the pipeline setting. Now I was able to achieve so.

Thanks again :slight_smile: