How to print source of an IRModule, mod.script or mod.script()?

I try to print the script code of a IRModule, but it looks strange that I get the right result using mod.script but got None using mod.script(), why is that?

I see the definition of IRModule in python/tvm/ir/module.py, it defines script method, but I can’t find a member named script, but why calling mod.script worked?

import torch
import onnx
from tvm import relay
from tvm.relay.frontend.onnx import from_onnx

class DynamicNet(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()

def forward(self, x, y, z):
        tmp_a = torch.add(x, y)
        tmp_b = torch.add(y, z)
        return torch.add(tmp_a, tmp_b)

def torch_export():
    model = DynamicNet()
    dummy_input = tuple([torch.ones((1, 2))] * 3)
    print(dummy_input)
    input_names = ['x', 'y', 'z']
    output_names = ['result']
    torch.onnx.export(model, dummy_input, "multi_add.onnx", verbose=False, input_names=input_names, output_names=output_names)

def compile_onnx():
    model = onnx.load('multi_add.onnx')
    mod, params = from_onnx(model)
    print(mod.script)
    print(mod.script())

torch_export()
compile_onnx()

It shows as follows:

mod.script
<bound method IRModule.script of #[version = "0.0.5"]
def @main(%x: Tensor[(1, 2), float32] /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */, %y: Tensor[(1, 2), float32] /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */, %z: Tensor[(1, 2), float32] /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */) -> Tensor[(1, 2), float32] {
  %0 = add(%x, %y) /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */;
  %1 = add(%y, %z) /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */;
  add(%0, %1) /* ty=Tensor[(1, 2), float32] */
}
>
mod.script()
# from tvm.script import tir as T
@tvm.script.ir_module
class Module:

TVMScript is designed for the next generation TVM compiler stack, which includes Relax and TIR, but not Relay unfortunately, because we have been focusing on Relax development. To print an IRModule containing Relay, you may use astext or other legacy formats.

OK got it. But why mod.script calls mod.astext(), do you know why? I’m curious about this, thank you!

The IRModule printer has a fallback mechanism that automatically falls back to Relay’s printer if a Relay function is detected: https://github.com/apache/tvm/blob/6f0e2edd714ba1cc7800dc445fec45115d0e5c1c/src/script/printer/ir/ir.cc#L123-L124

Therefore, if you don’t use tvmscript printing, but instead directly do python printing below:

print(mod)

The Relay’s printer will be invoked.

As an extra thing, would you like to send a quick PR that gives a warning if TVMScript printer was given a Relay function? To do this, you may add a few lines here: https://github.com/junrushao/tvm/blob/6f0e2edd714ba1cc7800dc445fec45115d0e5c1c/src/script/printer/ir/ir.cc#L49

Thank you!

It’s my pleasure to receive the invitation, but I’m so sorry that I can’t do it quickly. As I’m fresh to tvm and I’m still workding hard to learn the basic concepts like function and tir. It still confuses me. Sending a pr by now is a little hard for me.