Deadlocks or Segfault when compiling multiple models concurrently

Hi,

I’ve been trying to use TVM’s compilation infrastructure for CUDA and torchvision/mxnet models. Everything works fine in terms of compilation and subsequent execution of the models when done sequentially. I.e. 1 model at a time.

As soon as I try to perform compilation using:

graph_module = relay.build(
                    mod, target=target, params=params, target_host=target_host
                )

in parallel, for example using python’s threading or concurrent.futures modules by the means of ThreadPools or ThreadPoolExecutor, I get Segmentation Fault errors that trace back to tvm/_ffi/_ctypes/packed_func.py:227.

Further inspection of the segfault shows: “malloc_consolidate(): invalid chunk size” Likely something is getting overwritten somewhere…

That gave me a thought that maybe its smth. to do with ctypes. I switched to cython and cythonized the python ffi. The segfault is gone but threads now deadlock. I.e. in any scenario where there are >1 threads going through the relay.build() callstack, execution hangs indefinitely until I kill the parent process.

Just to clarify, I start the worker threads with completely distinct models (i.e. converted from pytorch to relay), so it isn’t the case (I think) that the compiler is reusing the same IR module for 2 concurrent compilation processes.

I’ve managed to trace back the deadlock to (line 203 of src/relay/backend/graph_runtime_codegen.cc):

Likely I’m missing something obvious but at this point I’m not sure what else to follow and how to debug this. Any input would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

If you can I would put some debugging into the VisitExpr call, its not clear 203 is actually the deadlock to me. I read through the code and it seems more likely something else in the visitor is broken, i.e something code inside of VisitExpr is real cause. If it is in fact the visitor I would also be stumped, but if it is something else it might become more clear, there are a few issues with thread safety in TVM that we have run into in past few months.

That was one of my considerations, however, unfortunately I’m missing cycles to dedicate to it at the moment. I’ve created a workaround by avoiding keeping anything in memory until last minute (i.e. using python’s multiprocessing Processes) and loading relay code from file for each new process. There’s probably a bit of overhead in doing it that way though.

In terms of the deadlock, yes, I agree, it is likely something that happens within VisitExpr that relies upon a shared resource across threads. Could it be something to do with the global cache for relay?