Auto_Scheduler got segmentation fault when tune

Hi, I’m new to tvm and really excited about auto_scheduler.

When I ran using auto_scheduler and using autotvm, they worked perfectly. However, when I try to put the exactly the same model setting from to, I got the error segmentation fault python

Here is the the modification I made, (I intentionally put some debugging nonsense logs there)

and Here is the log

my xgboost version is 1.4.2 image Any hints or helps will be appreciated sincerely!!! Thank you in advance!

what is img.shape? Was not able to see declaration and initialization of img. I do what you did, substituted img.shape to input_shape and in my case everything worked fine.

At the same time I see confusing message xgboost/ UserWarning: Old style callback is deprecated. See: warnings.warn(f'Old style callback is deprecated. See: {link}', UserWarning) after measure trial.

I have xgboost 1.3.3

The UserWarning from XGBoost doesn’t matter, although it does look like the issue when training a cost model.

Could you try to remove log_file that includes the previous tuning results to first make sure you’re having the exactly the same environment as you did when tuning the tutorial?

In addition, it would be more efficient for people to give a hand if you could provide a complete script that reproduces the problem.

Hi elvin-n, sorry for the late reply. :pray:

I’ve tried to substitute img.shape (1, 3, 224, 224) to input_shape torch.Size([1, 3, 224, 224]) but it still got segment fault. I guess it is probably due to memory not large enough…

Hi Comaniac, below is my complete script. I have removed log_file but it stil doesn’t work.

import numpy as np

import tvm
from tvm import relay, auto_scheduler
from tvm.relay import data_dep_optimization as ddo
import tvm.relay.testing
from tvm.contrib import graph_executor
from import download_testdata

import torch
import torchvision

from PIL import Image

img_url = ""
img_path = download_testdata(img_url, "cat.png", module="data")
img =, 224))

# Preprocess the image and convert to tensor
from torchvision import transforms

my_preprocess = transforms.Compose(
        transforms.Normalize(mean=[0.485, 0.456, 0.406], std=[0.229, 0.224, 0.225]),

img = my_preprocess(img)
img = np.expand_dims(img, 0)

use_sparse = False
target ="llvm", host="llvm")
dtype = "float32"
log_file = "demo-torch-resnet18.json" 

# Extract tasks from the network
print("Get model...")
model_name = "resnet18"
model = getattr(torchvision.models, model_name)(pretrained=True)
model = model.eval()

# We grab the TorchScripted model via tracing
input_shape = [1, 3, 224, 224]
input_data = torch.randn(input_shape)
scripted_model = torch.jit.trace(model, input_data).eval()
input_name = "input0"
#shape_list = [(input_name, img.shape)]
shape_list = [(input_name, input_shape)]
mod, params = relay.frontend.from_pytorch(scripted_model, shape_list)
print("Extract tasks...")
tasks, task_weights = auto_scheduler.extract_tasks(mod["main"], params, target)

for idx, task in enumerate(tasks):
    print("========== Task %d  (workload key: %s) ==========" % (idx, task.workload_key))

def run_tuning():
    print("Begin tuning...")
    tuner = auto_scheduler.TaskScheduler(tasks, task_weights)
    tune_option = auto_scheduler.TuningOptions(
        num_measure_trials=18,  # change this to 20000 to achieve the best performance
        runner=auto_scheduler.LocalRunner(repeat=10, enable_cpu_cache_flush=True),

    if use_sparse:
        from tvm.topi.sparse.utils import sparse_sketch_rules

        search_policy = [
            for task in tasks

        tuner.tune(tune_option, search_policy=search_policy)


# Compile with the history best
with auto_scheduler.ApplyHistoryBest(log_file):
    with tvm.transform.PassContext(opt_level=3, config={"relay.backend.use_auto_scheduler": True}):
        lib =, target=target, params=params)

# Create graph executor
dev = tvm.device(str(target), 0)
module = graph_executor.GraphModule(lib["default"](dev))
data_tvm = tvm.nd.array((np.random.uniform(size=input_shape)).astype(dtype))
module.set_input("data",  tvm.nd.array(img.astype(dtype)))

# Evaluate
print("Evaluate inference time cost...")
print(module.benchmark(dev, repeat=3, min_repeat_ms=500))

I directly ran your script on my machine with the latest TVM and it seems working, so it’s highly possible due to your environment setting. My XGBoost version is 1.3.1 for your reference.