VTA build and execution error with new 3rdparty vta-hw

I tried some tutorials on the latest commit of TVM (cd0d52daa6942bdafa9363ff6cfa3d25fcd5b8d6) but I found the build failure so, I fixed this issue, which might be the one discussed in (VTA build on PYNQ fails at VTA.cmake:97), by the following workaround and then the build succeeded.

diff --git a/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake b/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake
index 4af39e088..b4ef80d4c 100644
--- a/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake
@@ -102,6 +103,9 @@ elseif(PYTHON)
     # Target lib: vta
     add_library(vta SHARED ${FPGA_RUNTIME_SRCS})
     target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC vta/include)
+    target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC ${VTA_HW_PATH}/include)
     foreach(__def ${VTA_DEFINITIONS})
       string(SUBSTRING ${__def} 3 -1 __strip_def)
       target_compile_definitions(vta PUBLIC ${__strip_def})

However I failed to run it correctly on the physical devices both pynq and ultra96, because libvta.so doesn’t seem to contain the symbol VTARuntimeShutdown . I pasted the error message below. Is there any one who know about this??

xilinx@pynq:~/tvm$ sudo ./apps/vta_rpc/start_rpc_server.sh
INFO:RPCServer:bind to 0.0.0.0:9091
INFO:RPCServer:connection from ('172.16.19.12', 60962)
INFO:root:Skip reconfig_runtime due to same config.
INFO:root:Program FPGA with 1x16_i8w8a32_15_15_18_17.bit
INFO:root:Loading VTA library: /home/xilinx/tvm/vta/python/vta/../../../build/libvta.so
INFO:RPCServer:load_module /tmp/tmpxhytgs15/gemm.o
INFO:root:Loading VTA library: /home/xilinx/tvm/vta/python/vta/../../../build/libvta.so
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py", line 258, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py", line 93, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/home/xilinx/tvm/python/tvm/rpc/server.py", line 84, in _serve_loop
    base._ServerLoop(sockfd)
  File "/home/xilinx/tvm/python/tvm/_ffi/_ctypes/packed_func.py", line 216, in __call__
    raise get_last_ffi_error()
AttributeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  [bt] (5) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(TVMFuncCall+0x70) [0x7fad00e4d8]
  [bt] (4) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(+0xadc90) [0x7fad08bc90]
  [bt] (3) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(+0xacac8) [0x7fad08aac8]
  [bt] (2) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(tvm::runtime::RPCServerLoop(int)+0xac) [0x7fad089dfc]
  [bt] (1) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(tvm::runtime::RPCSession::ServerLoop()+0x1cc) [0x7fad07fd8c]
  [bt] (0) /home/xilinx/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(+0x2c750) [0x7fad00a750]
  File "/home/xilinx/tvm/python/tvm/_ffi/_ctypes/packed_func.py", line 78, in cfun
    rv = local_pyfunc(*pyargs)
  File "/home/xilinx/tvm/vta/python/vta/exec/rpc_server.py", line 84, in server_shutdown
    runtime_dll[0].VTARuntimeShutdown()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 361, in __getattr__
    func = self.__getitem__(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 366, in __getitem__
    func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: /home/xilinx/tvm/vta/python/vta/../../../build/libvta.so: undefined symbol: VTARuntimeShutdown
2 Likes

I meet the same problem. Have you fixed it yet?

I found that VTARuntimeShutdown is defined inside vta/runtime, which before refactoring where defined inside include/vta and vta/src, apparently they are not compiled with VTA now. I tried specifying this drivers to the compilation of VTA by adding the following line to VTA.cmake for the USE_VTA_FPGA section

file(GLOB FPGA_RUNTIME_SRCS vta/runtime/*cc)

Unfortunately I didn’t succeed, execution of tutorials still fails with the same error shown above. Were you able to solve the issue?

I’ve recently updated TVM and encountered same problem. Did anyone solve this problem?

you can at least fix the build problem by the solution @acapone13 mentioned but probably will face to the execution problem.

WIth the latest update bug fix (commit 63f84a11353791ac3f8916cdcf7c2c6e6d45c4fb) and adding the following patch to VTA.cmake:

--- a/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/VTA.cmake
@@ -102,7 +102,7 @@ elseif(PYTHON)
     endif()
     # Target lib: vta
     add_library(vta SHARED ${FPGA_RUNTIME_SRCS})
-    target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC vta/include)
+    target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC vta/runtime)
     foreach(__def ${VTA_DEFINITIONS})
       string(SUBSTRING ${__def} 3 -1 __strip_def)
       target_compile_definitions(vta PUBLIC ${__strip_def})

I was able to solve the execution problem, I tested with the test scripts and some of the tutorials and everything works up to know, with the new refactorization runtime.h was not being included into the shared library.

1 Like

@acapone13
Thanks for letting me know but I reinstalled tvm from the start and face the same issue. I also tried to add the patch to VTA.cmake, by excluding

“”"""“target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC vta/include)”"""""

and including

“”"""“target_include_directories(vta PUBLIC vta/runtime)”"""""

but the same issue appears to me. I’d really be appreciated if you can help me out here. Thank you.

I checked reinstalling TVM in another PYNQ image and I encountered the same issues. My workaround works only if building tvm and vta following the installation guide, and then rebuilding modifying the line I mentioned. I still can’t figure out the problem to provide a proper solution, you can try what I did but that would be a temporary untrusted solution.

1 Like

All right, thank you so much anyways.

Guess I’m gonna stick back to the last version that worked well.

@acapone13 you are indeed correct, I tested your change to the CMAKE and along with 63f84a11353791ac3f8916cdcf7c2c6e6d45c4fb it should bring back the Pynq functionality.

Pending on this PR from being merged: https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/pull/5630

If you follow these instructions: https://docs.tvm.ai/vta/install.html, (installing on host, and PynqZ1 running pynq image v2.5), you should be able to run the deploy_classification.py without issues.

Here’s the output I got from the experiment:

Reconfigured FPGA and RPC runtime in 3.07s!
Cannot find config for target=ext_dev -device=vta -keys=cpu -model=pynq_1x16_i8w8a32_15_15_18_17, workload=('conv2d_NCHWc.x86', ('TENSOR', (1, 3, 224, 224), 'float32'), ('TENSOR', (64, 3, 7, 7), 'float32'), (2, 2), (3, 3, 3, 3), (1, 1), 'NCHW', 'NCHW', 'float32'). A fallback configuration is used, which may bring great performance regression.
resnet18_v1 inference graph built in 13.35s!
File synset.txt exists, skip.
File cat.png exists, skip.

Performed inference in 371.38ms (std = 0.04) for 1 samples
Average per sample inference time: 371.38ms

resnet18_v1 prediction for sample 0
	#1: tiger cat
	#2: Egyptian cat
	#3: tabby, tabby cat
	#4: lynx, catamount
	#5: weasel

My apologies for the bug, we need better hardware CI/nightlies to catch bugs that aren’t caught in simulation.

2 Likes

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 258, in _bootstrap self.run() File “/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 93, in run self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs) File “/home/root/tvm/python/tvm/rpc/server.py”, line 118, in _serve_loop _ffi_api.ServerLoop(sockfd) File “/home/root/tvm/python/tvm/_ffi/_ctypes/packed_func.py”, line 237, in call raise get_last_ffi_error() AttributeError: Traceback (most recent call last): [bt] (4) /root/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(TVMFuncCall+0x37) [0xb379a4f4] [bt] (3) /root/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(+0x8c1f8) [0xb37f71f8] [bt] (2) /root/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(tvm::runtime::RPCServerLoop(int)+0x6b) [0xb37f6aa0] [bt] (1) /root/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(tvm::runtime::RPCEndpoint::ServerLoop()+0x13f) [0xb37e44f0] [bt] (0) /root/tvm/build/libtvm_runtime.so(+0x2d340) [0xb3798340] File “/home/root/tvm/python/tvm/_ffi/_ctypes/packed_func.py”, line 81, in cfun rv = local_pyfunc(*pyargs) File “/home/root/tvm/vta/python/vta/exec/rpc_server.py”, line 84, in server_shutdown runtime_dll[0].VTARuntimeShutdown() File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/ init .py”, line 361, in getattr func = self. getitem (name) File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/ init .py”, line 366, in getitem func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self)) AttributeError: /home/root/tvm/vta/python/vta/…/…/…/build/libvta.so: undefined symbol: VTARuntimeShutdown

I am facing this error while running any examples on DE10 Nano. Isn’t this bug solved?